Needingworth United 1, Eaton Socon A 3

15th October 2016 :: Hunts Lower Junior Cup

Eaton Socon A team were looking to continue their fine league form in the the Hunts cup this week. Playing on the first team pitch Eaton Socon started quickly on the pristine surface with new boy Jay having an early chance after powering through the defence and cutting in but shooting wide. Eaton Socon were on top of the game and this showed as the inform Damian Chamberlain found a way through the Needingworth back line after some exchanges with his old strike partner Asa Johnson, Chamberlain was through on goal with 20 yards to make up and managing to hold off the defenders after some recent bulking up and under pressure he finished tidily. 1-0 Eaton Socon. This partnership upfront was causing Needingworth problems and the two combined again with Johnson being put in on goal, only this time shooting wide. Eaton Socon's defence had barely been troubled and the midfield were comfortable for an excellent 30 minutes but Eaton Socon dropped off the pace allowing Needingworth back into the game, the opposition were slowly pushing Eaton Socon further back with constant pressure, The Eaton management made a tactical change by changing to a 4-5-1 formation in order to keep it 1-0 until half time.

Half time. Changes were made to suit a different shape in the second half. Wade Cockram was replaced with Charlie Gough and Perri Ransley was replaced by Jake Dexter.

The second half started much better and Eaton Socon were immediately on the front foot as this new shape allowed Eaton to dominate possession and show off their footballing talents with some slick interchanges between the midfield trio of James Taylor, Ronnie Wheeler and Charlie Gough. Wide man Jay Sablowski was constantly causing problems with his attacking runs and his high intensity work rate, this proved to be too much for back-line of Needingworth as Jay powered down the left flank brushing of defenders all the way to the dead ball line at which he cut inside onto his right peg and unleashed a shot into the back of the net. 2-0 Eaton Socon. Needingworth had proved fairly easy for the back-line to contain with skipper Shane Smith marking their striker out of the game until they made a few changes and brought on a young lad who's movement was a welcome challenge for the Eaton back-line. Needingworth started chasing the game and their pressure paid off after the Eaton centre half and centre mid went for the same ball, allowing the space at which the opposition, used another striker had the first real shot on target of the day for Needingworth. The shot hit the back of Elliott's net in goal, although this goal did look dubiously offside. 2-1 Eaton Socon.

Eaton Socon were then up against the cosh for the next 10 minutes as Needingworth rallied looking for a second goal, the Eaton Socon back 3 of Shane Smith, Jonjo Smith and Veteran Lea Wood held firm with excellent communication and a very good defensive line, reinforced in front by the brick wall of Ronnie Wheeler. Eaton Socon then came back into the game after James Taylor was substituted in anticipation of his temper after a little 'Two footed  Tubby Taylor Tango'  for Troy Beavis to keep the midfield active and soon after Craig Thomas was brought on for the injured Asa Johnson. Thomas provided a different style of playing and acted a target man for Eaton's 3rd and final goal as he expertly brought the ball down and set up Charlie Gough for a wonder strike from 25 yards which bent in over the stranded keepers head. 3-1 Eaton Socon. This proved to be the pivotal goal that killed off Needingworth. Lea Wood had to go off injured 5 minutes before the end of play and Ransley entered the field again only for him to get a comical yellow card for touching the opposition as he raced past.

All in all a good day out for Socon and the cup continues, end result 3-1 Eaton Socon. Manager Simon O'Connor's MOM was Ronny Wheeler for 90 minutes of hard graft.