Eaton Socon res. 2, Ramsey Town 1

5th April 2017 :: Hunts Junior Cup

Hunts Junior Cup Final
Eaton Socon 2 Ramsey Town 1

In cup finals you will always need one hero to bring home the trophy.. well last night Eaton found 16. Yes Sam Ward climbed off the bench to head home a 93rd minute winner but what went before from the others was a Herculean effort.
Ramsey Town went into the game as probable favourites but they came up against an Eaton side determined to win the cup. 
Ramsey had the first real chance when a ball over the top found Darlow whose rasping shot was well saved by White at his near post. Minutes later another chance for Darlow but great covering from Ash Howard saw his shot deflected for a corner. Eaton had to suck it up and they did. One of the reasons they one this final was the master stroke of manager Argyle to play Joe Cerrvino up front and he gradually started to show why Argyle had put his faith in him. A ball down the line in the 11th minute saw Cerrvino race away from the defender and his pass was met by Mahoney who shot over. Ramsey again put pressure on and again White was equal to Darlow whose header was pushed wide. Eaton had few chances in the first half but on 31 minutes they carved Town in half with a great move involving Westbury, Hall and finally Maloney whose shot was well saved. Ramsey finished the half off with a number of corners but the game remained level at half time.
The second half was a credit to both teams with some good attacking football and was cracking entertainment for the 261 souls that came to support their team. Again Ramsey posed an early threat and Stanford had an early chance but scuffed it wide.
The game had a number of bookings but was in no way a dirty affair.. Edwards the Ramsey number 8 picked a booking up on 51 minutes and he would live to regret that on 60 minutes when he broke in the box only to go down under a challenge from Ransley.. the crowd and Eaton players held a collective breath fearing the worse, however referee Hitchcox obviously felt that Edwards had dived and produced a second yellow card meaning Town were down to ten. This of course changed the dynamic of the game and Eaton started to find pockets of space on the break.. however they had plenty of the ball now but didn't really create a worthwhile effort. But that all changed on 67 minutes when Eaton won a corner.. quick thinking by Maloney who went to receive a short one and his cross was met by the head of Tom Baxter who headed home. Eaton celebrated and regretfully these celebrations were short lived when Ramsey equalised within minutes.. the obligatory ball over the top found Jamie Darlow who raced clear and lifted the ball over White to cue Ramsey celebrations. So Eaton had to go again and again they got their heads up and started to dominate possession.. manager Argyle finally threw himself into the fray and he brought something different to the proceedings with quick feet and clever link up play Eaton now carried a real threat. On 81 minutes he could and should have had the glory moment.. great work from Cerrvino down the right saw Joe square the ball to Argyle and with the goal at his mercy he fluffed his lines and the ball went wide.. Cerrvino then had great chance but the ball would not come down and he shot tamely at the keeper. On 89 minutes Ton Baxter had run himself into the game and Sam Ward made his way on to the pitch .. two minutes later he was that hero.. a ball wide found Argyle who put in a great cross to the far post where Ward with probably his first touch sent a looping header back across the goal and into the net ... SCENES!! .. Eaton celebrated rightfully so be Town had little time to mount any kind of assault on the Eaton goal.. Referee Hitchcox blew for full time and the boys had done it .. great night .. great effort .. the first of three trophies in the bag 🏆🏆