Chatteris Town 0, Eaton Socon 1

15th August 2017 :: Cambs FA County League Kershaw Premier

An Owen Dixon goal in the last 15 minutes saw Eaton start their Cambs Kershaw Premier League campaign with a hard fought win away at Chatteris. Eaton probably could not have asked for a more difficult start to the season against a well organised, strong opponents, however they wore down a resilient Town team and deserved to take all three points. The first half was a blood and thunder affair with both teams taking no prisoners with strong tackles going in by both sets of players, but it was all fair and both teams showed plenty of passion on this opening night. Thorpe had the first chance for Eaton when he dragged a shot wide, and his strike partner Bassett worked tirelessly and run himself into the ground trying to create chances against a solid Town defence. Bassett then went on a great run down the right and his cross eluded everyone in the Town box. Chatteris though grew into the game and in the final 20 minutes of the first half piled huge pressure on the Eaton goal, and one particular effort from 30 yards deflected off Spavins head and Wale in the Eaton goal made an exceptional save pushing the ball over the bar. Chatteris had a number of corners but these were well defended, and only a goal saving header from Dixon stopped Chatteris from going in ahead.

Half time and the scores level but Chatteris will probably feel they shaded it and could have been ahead. The second half was a different affair with Eaton slowly working up a head of steam with Flack marauding down the right and Thorpe making the Town defence work hard to contain him and Bassett. And on 57 minutes Thorpe skinned the Town Right back and bore down on goal, but the huge frame of Rayner in the Town goal spread himself and the chance was cleared. Man of the Match Vale was getting more an more into the game and when Swain replaced the impressive Stockwell who had run himself into the ground Eaton seemed to go into another gear. The Town defence were struggling to stop the impressive Bassett whose defensive duties of keeping the Town back four busy turned into more offensive work and he was making the inroads that his team mates required to try and get that all vital breakthrough. Morris shielded the back four and a great tackle from him allowed Vale to pick up the second ball and drive at the Town defence. The ball was put into the Town area and they failed for the first time to clear the ball, which fell to Bassett whose original effort was saved only for the ball to drop to Dixon whose right foot effort nestled in the net. Was it deserved?? It probably was as Eaton had controlled the second half for long periods. Town then made a number of changes and sent more players up top and this created gaps in the middle of the park. Bassett had worked himself into the ground and was replaced on 87 minutes and his replacement Gooch could have sealed the win but his effort went agonisingly wide. Eaton saw out the final few minutes and claimed three vital points against a team that will certainly be up there at the end of the season.

Great night for the Eagles, but a long way to go.