St Ives Rangers 1, Eaton Socon res. 5

28th September 2019 :: Kershaw Senior B

The highlight of this game started in the dressing room as Simon White produced a pair of neon boots from his bag. Which I assumed was a get yourself seen initiative, with the dark nights drawing in. He redeemed himself somewhat by telling us  they were £20 (available from the boot exchange on Monarch road.) Other stockists are available.

In windy conditions, and on a poor 3G pitch. Eaton won the toss, and kicked with the wind behind them. Tom Hall using the conditions to his advantage sent over a corner that eluded everyone including the Rangers goalkeeper, to put Eaton 1-0 up, after 15 minutes. Ellis Dufus scored the second from close range 5 minutes later, after Rangers failed to clear another Tom Hall corner.

ALan Moore was sent clear by Dufus , after neat play from Albone, Coles and Hall in midfield only to be denied by a great save from the Rangers keeper. The Rangers keeper was in action again to deny Hall, from 18yards with a header tipped over the bar. Dufus then one v one blazed over. Coles then tried his luck from distance. The fact it wasn’t mentioned in the bar afterwards will tell you how close it was.
St Ives rode there luck, but they didn’t give up, and played some good  football throughout the game, but especially in the 1st half kicking into the wind, they kept the ball on the floor and pulled it back to 2-1, with a sweeping move through the midfield, and then a great run from the Rangers no.10 beating 3 playings, before unleashing a shot in to the top corner giving White no chance.

This coming moments after having a goal disallowed for a free kick, taken whilst the referee was talking to the Eaton skipper.
Eaton composed themselves and continued to pressure the St Ives defence, and were rewarded with a goal from Kyle Martin, reacting first in a goal mouth scramble, after another corner. 

Second half started with 3 changes made, Pyke making way for Barnett. Coles for Kane, and Vale for Kokotka, who shared a more familiar role with Coles. The defence marshalled by Kidd and Howard  kept there line well, and anything that got past them White dealt with, as St Ives went long hoping to get back in the game. The game was held up momentarily as Barnett’s touch and clearances got the better of the ground staff, as he cleared all fences and hedges available to him. White and Howard soon got in on the act, and it wasn’t long before the disgruntled St Ives forward, who was moaning about a lack of balls and time wasting, shot over the fence.

Eaton continued to play on the break, and had plenty of chances to finish the game. None more so than Kyle Martin, with the keeper drawn and a full 2 yards out Kyle
managed to miss. He could have hit it with anything, but he chose his foot, and saw his chance drift past the post. Eaton sealed the game 10 minutes later as, Moore pounced, quicker than a man being offered an iPhone for €50 to score Eaton’s 4th, after good work from Barnett, Hall and Vale, he tapped in.
Moore then scored the goal of the game as he waltzed through the Rangers midfield beating tree men, before bypassing the central defence and firing home.

6 points against a good St Ives side, this season hopefully erasing memories for much of the squad conceding 10 a couple of seasons ago.

MOM  Tom Hall
Kokotka (Vale)
Pyke (Barnett)
Coles (Kane)

7 in a row
Top of the league.