Comberton United 1, Eaton Socon 1

18th January 2020 :: Cambs FA County League Kershaw Premier

Eaton were disappointed not to take all 3 points at Comberton but produced a much improved display after last weeks shocker.

The away side started brightly and were on top throughout the first half. Top scorer Rhys Thorpe was forced off after 20 minutes with an ankle injury and was replaced by Conor Heaps, and It was Heaps that reacted quickest to a loose ball in the box and was brought down by the Comberton goalkeeper. Penalty? Every one else thought so but the linesman thought otherwise and made up a ridiculous comment about the ball being out of play. 0-0 at half time.

Eaton started the second half much the same as the first but couldn’t find a way through the stubborn home defence. They were dealt a blow when our jolly friend with the flag wasn’t getting enough attention so gave Comberton a penalty after the referee seemed happy to carry on. Up stepped Tom Joyce who saw his penalty well saved by Andrew Wale. This boosted Eaton and the introduction of Cam Stump immediately saw him set up debutant Mark Franklin who riffled a shot in off the underside of the cross bar. 0-1. Eaton’s lead  looked comfortable until they were undone by a long throw that wasn’t defended properly allowing the home side to equalise from close range, 1-1.

Comberton were then  reduced to 10 men with 5 minutes to go after their centre half who clearly had too many E numbers in his half time refreshments, decided to hack down Franklin in the corner before getting up and asking for his autograph. Franklin politely refused, the centre half kicked off, the ref sent him off. Eaton saw a header cleared off the line in the last minute and had to settle for a point in the end. A good display in tricky conditions and the only thing missing was the 3 points, oh and a pump for the footballs.

Plenty of good displays from the likes Of Heaps, Flack and Shepherd to name just a few but it was Tom McGowan who was named MOM for his display in midfield.